Water Testing and Well Records

Water Testing: Submit a Well Water Sample

At the Public Health Ontario Laboratories, water testing is FREE. They test for the indicators of bacterial contamination: coliforms and E. coli.

  • Coliforms. These bacteria are often found in animal waste and sewage, and soil and vegetation. If they are in your drinking water, it means surface water may be entering your well.
  • E. coli (Escherichia coli ). These bacteria are normally found only in the digestive systems of people and animals. If they are in your drinking water, it usually means that animal or human waste is entering your well from a nearby source.

How to take a Water Sample

It’s important to collect your sample properly. The accuracy of your test results depends on it.

Water Sample Drop Off

Gravenhurst Health Unit

2-5 Pineridge Gt, Gravenhurst  P1P 1Z3

Phone: 705-684-9090

Fax: 705-684-9887

Monday to Thursday 8:30 am – 2:30 pm

Huntsville Health Unit

34 Chaffey St, Huntsville  P1H 1K1

Phone: 705-789-8813

Fax: 705-789-7245

Monday to Thursday 8:30 am – 2:30 pm
Office Closed Daily 12:30pm – 1:30pm

Aquatic & Environmental Lab

3239 Penetanguishene Rd, Barrie  L4M 4Y8

Phone: 705-722-5227

Fax: 705-722-5224

Monday to Thursday 9:00 am – 4:30 pm
Friday  9:00 am – 3:00 pm

Muskoka Drop Off Locations
(Wednesdays drop off by 10:30 am; leave cheque or cash with water sample)

  • Huntsville Community Living Building
  • Bracebridge Chamber of Commerce
  • Gravenhurst Chamber of Commerce

There is a $20 fee for this test. Results are received in 24 hours.

Water Testing Form

Well Record Search

The government has well record data from 1899 to present. The records provide information submitted by well contractors and are stored in the Water Well Information System (WWIS). The government has extracted historical data from its Water Well Information System (WWIS) and made it available.

You can search for a well record a couple of ways through the Ministry of the Environment and Climate Change:

  1. Go to the on-line interactive well record map
  2. Request a copy of the original well record
  3. Fill out an on-line form

Well records requests must be sent to:

Wells Help Desk
Environmental Monitoring and Reporting Branch
Ministry of the Environment and Climate Change
125 Resources Road
Toronto ON M9P 3V6
1-888-396-WELL (9355)
Fax:  416-235-5960

The request will take approximately 3-5 business days to complete.